It’s a strange combination for my Six on Saturday this week – a mixture of harvest, flowers, tiny seedlings and a giant unknown “something-or-other”!
- First up, cabbages! A relative assured us they were ready for picking….
but before you look at that photo and think “cor, that cabbage is huge!” that’s actually three together….
that is one single cabbage!
- Next up is another mystery plant / weed…. I scattered wild flower seeds in this patch a few years ago, and that’s how we got the Teasel. But what on earth is the large bushy “thing” to the right of it?!
- Despite our lack of confidence in these seeds germinating, the Cucamelons are starting to peek through the soil…. maybe it’s not warm enough for them to be growing quickly (they’re in an unheated plastic covered grow house thing), so I might bring one into a heated area just to see what happens….
- The mint is taking over the universe…. well, the plot at least.
All this is mint that I dug out from the flower patch (I haven’t tackled the herb patch yet) – I think I need to replace the pots it was growing in, as it’s obviously managed to break through them!
- My potato plants have browned on the ends – is this down to a lack of water, do you think?
- And finally, strawberries!
We came across these at Homebase – the Snow White ones look really healthy & much more established than bare root runners I bought last autumn, so I decided to take the plunge to replace some of the ones that didn’t survive.
Most of those are now in my new plastic raised bed (Snow White is in a different raised bed, along with my other ‘unusual’ strawberries), complete with a new framework & net to keep the deer off the berries. And of course a rogue chive plant which I obviously missed when I moved it to a different raised bed a couple of months ago.
And the Just Add Cream are flowering like crazy, so I’m hopeful for a decent crop of strawberries from them!
Don’t forget to check out the Propagator’s Six on Saturday and read through the comments section for more blogs to check out!